Avalon Mountain Community is in a great location and puts you very close to some really special places to enjoy a day of fun and adventure. One of these fantastic places to visit is Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The town is only 90 minutes from Avalon. There is so much to do in Pigeon Forge, and the entire family will love it!
Spend Some Time in Pigeon Forge
Everything in One Stop!
Pigeon Forge has two huge attractions that have all you want to do in a single location: shopping, dining, live entertainment, and fun!
Country Legend, Dolly Parton…
One of the most popular spots in Pigeon Forge is the wildly fun Dollywood, which was created by world famous singer Dolly Parton. Dolly was born and raised in the Tennessee mountains, and Dollywood is a little piece of her heart in the Smokies! It is a family friendly theme and water park with live entertainment and dining. There is so much to do there that it is just impossible to list it all here! Let me give you a brief overview:
Dollywood Theme Park
- 150 acres
- 40 amusement park rides
- 15 shows
- different festivals year round
- sit down dining & food stands
- beautiful mountain scenery
Splash Country Water Park
- 35 acres
- thrilling water rides
- wave pools
- river rapids
- canopies to sit and relax in
Located within Dollywood, there are two big shows! At each, you will dine on a delicious 4 course meal as you watch the show!
- Dolly Parton’s Stampede – a 32 horses and riders performance with live music
- Smoky Mountain Adventures – a musical acrobatics show based on Dolly’s life and family
If you want to turn your day trip into an overnight or longer stay at Dollywood, there is also a resort and cabins available!
Escape to the Island…
Another wonderful all in one location is called The Island. There are all kinds of awesome rides, plus shopping, dining, a spa, and hotel! Below is a quick view of the fun things to do here:
The Island Amusement Park
- a ropes course with 30 different elements
- 2 zip lines
- Great Smoky Mountain Ferris Wheel (great views of the mountains)
- mirror maze
- bumper cars
- shooting gallery
- and much, much more
Shopping at The Island
- more than 60 retail and specialty shops
- home apparel
- kids’ shops
- unique gifts
- and so much more
Relax at St. Somewhere Spa
Shop till you drop, and then go relax at the St. Somewhere Spa! Located inside the Margaritaville Island Hotel, this place is pure luxury!
- massages (individual and couples)
- manicures and pedicures
- hair salon
- spray tan
- and lots more
You’ll want to review the full list of services then make a reservation for your time at St. Somewhere Spa.
So Many Dining Options
There are all different kinds of dining options at The Island. From fine dining to grab and go food stands, there is something to satisfy any craving! Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen, Margaritaville, Mellow Mushroom Pizza, and Poynor’s Pommes Frites are just a small sampling of the delicious dining establishments.
Other Must See Pigeon Forge Attraction
Big, all in one stops are great, but if you want a smaller venue, with only one specialized attraction, there are plenty of places in Pigeon Forge to visit!
For the Thrill Seekers…
If you or someone you know loves adventure and adrenaline-charged experiences, then the places listed below are perfect!
Flyaway Indoor Skydiving – Skydive without jumping out of a plane! This place is America’s 1st vertical wind tunnel that lets you body fly! No experience is needed, and there are individual or group diving.
Outdoor Gravity Park – This place is the only one of its kind! It is the only spot in the country where you can do zorbing. Think giant, insulated hamster ball going down an obstacle course, and you have zorbing! There are four different courses, some even have water, and you can have up to 3 people in a zorbing ball or go it alone!
Bluff Mountain Adventures – Ride all over the mountains and explore on these ATV trails. There are 6,000 acres and guided trail rides. Experience unbelievable views and cover rugged terrain with streams as you ride along!
For the Grown Ups…
Mountain Valley Winery – This is one of the largest wineries in the state and it has produced over 500 award winning wines. Mountain Valley Winery are known for their sweet wines and traditional German and French style wines. There is a wine cellar and tours with free tastings open to the public.
Old Forge Distillery – The distillery is in a 100 plus year old barn that used to be a farm supply store. Today, small batches of distinct spirits are produced here, and Old Forge Distillery is known for its whiskey and moonshine. A really unique thing about this distillery is that they make flavored moonshines, such as French toast, chocolate, and coffee moonshine! There are tasting tours, a tasting bar, and a gift shop open to the public.
For Those who Love to Shop…
There are two very big outlet malls in Pigeon Forge that will satisfy all your shopping wants and needs.
Pigeon Forge Factory Outlet Mall
- outdoor outlet mall
- designer brands and one of a kind gifts
- home goods
- and more
Pigeon River Crossings Outlet Mall
- indoor outlet mall
- largest in Pigeon Forge – 450,000 sq. ft.
- formerly known as the Belz Factory Outlet World
- over 75 name-brand outlet stores
- home goods
- and more
For Those who Love a Musical…
There are so many wonderful family friendly live musical theater performances to choose from in Pigeon Forge. Just to name a few, see the list that follows:
- Smoky Mountain Opry – “The largest and most attended variety show in the Smokies”. All different kinds of music and dance, as well as comedy are included in the show.
- Country Tonite – “It has been voted as the #1 show every year”. The show combines classic and contemporary country hits.
- The Comedy Barn – “This is the most award winning family comedy variety show in the Smoky Mountains”. This show has clean comedy, magicians, and live music.
- American Oldies Show – This live music variety show is upbeat and classics from the 50s, 60s. 70s, and 80s are performed. For more information, call (865)774-9454.
- Biblical Times Dinner Theater – “This is the #1 Christian dinner show in Pigeon Forge”. The live, scripturally sound performances, use 3D technology and music to entertain you as you enjoy a delicious dinner.
For Those who Like a Unique Museum…
If you like something fun and unique, then stop by the following Pigeon Forge museums.
Hollywood Wax Museum – This 2 story wax museum houses celebrity, lifelike statues of famous film and TV stars. You can take photos with images of the famous, such as Brad Pitt, John Wayne, Natalie Portman, Marilyn Monroe, and many more.
The Titanic Museum – This is the world’s largest museum dedicated to the famous ill-fated ship. There are more than 400 artifacts from the sunken vessel. As you walk through the exhibits, you will experience what it was like to be onboard the Titanic. You can even touch a real iceberg and feel, see, and hear exactly what is was like the night the ship went down.
As you can see, Pigeon Forge has a lot to offer! There is just no way you can fit it all in, in just one visit! Luckily, if you live at Avalon, you’ll be able to visit this great city again and again. It is defiantly worth the drive to spend some fabulously fun time here.