Western North Carolina has some great things for kids to-do. If you’re looking for fun activities for your kids or grandkids then look no further! Living in Avalon puts you very close to ten great places for kids to learn, have fun, and for the entire family to enjoy.
Kid Friendly Outdoor Adventures
- Queens Farm Stables: For those with kids who like horses, this is a great place to visit. The stables are located in Waynesville, just minutes from Avalon, and offer guided horseback riding in the mountains for the entire family. Prices vary by the length of your riding and which trails you choose. Kids ages 6 and older are able to ride, as well as adults. You do need to make reservations in advance. For reservations and more information, please call (828)926-0718. (No reservations via Internet.)
- Adventure Center of Asheville: Located five minutes from downtown Asheville on Expo Drive, Adventure Center is a great place for the entire family to find adventures! There are lots of activities to choose from, like mountain biking and bike trails, a kids’ zip line, an elevated obstacle course, and so much more! This place is open Monday – Sunday from 9am to 5:30 pm.
- Linville Caverns: This is one of the coolest natural wonders you will see in Western NC. The Linville Caverns are located in Marion (80.2 miles from Avalon) and are truly a site to see! These amazing caverns are inside the mountain for you to explore. There are pathways and lighting, so it is a safe exploration. You can also have a tour guide to tell the history of the caverns. It is open to the public through Labor Day from 9am-6pm. After Labor Day the hours of operation change for the fall and winter seasons. It is $8.50 for adults and $6.50 for kids ages 5-12 (under age 5 is free).
Let the Kids Go Wild
- Asheville Fun Depot: This is another great place in Asheville for kids to have a lot of fun. There are go-karts with indoor and outdoor tracks, lazar tag, mini golf, a climbing wall, mini bowling, an arcade, a 4D theater, an indoor playground, and much more! There is even a full menu Sports Café! Prices vary for each activity, ranging from $4 to $9, or you can buy a package of activities for a lower price. It’s open Monday – Thursday from 10am – 9pm; Friday from 10am – 10pm; Saturday from 10am – 11pm; and Sunday from 1pm – 8pm.
- Mountain Play Lodge: Located in Arden (34.6 miles from Avalon), this indoor play center has so much for kids to do. There are themed rooms, such as pirates, castles, towns, and more. There are also slides, dress up, balls, tunnels, inflatables, and many more things to keep your kids happy. It is open Monday – Sunday from 10am – 6pm. $12 for kids ages 3-12, $8 for kids age 2 and under, and adults get in free. (Please note, shoes are not allowed on the playing surfaces and socks are required. There is a seating area and free wi-fi for the adults.)
- Smokey Mountain Jumphouse: The kids can bounce off all kinds of energy in this indoor playground! There are inflatable bounce houses, an obstacle course, 18 foot slide, and much more! The cost is $6 per child and adults get in free. It is open Wednesday – Thursday from 10am – 5pm and Friday – Saturday from 10am – 6pm.
Your Kids Will Love Learning Something New
- Asheville Museum of Science: Located in downtown Asheville, the Museum of Science has so many neat exhibits, such as the Southern Appalachian Forest, Mars Rover, Paleontology, Hall of Minerals, and more! There are hands on exhibits and a scavenger hunt for kids, too. The museum is open Monday – Saturday from 10am – 5pm and Sunday from 1pm – 5pm. Cost is $6 for adults and $5.25 for kids (under age 3 gets in free).
- Claymates Pottery: For the aspiring artist, head on over to the unique paint your own pottery and creative arts studio in Waynesville. Kids (and adults) pick out the piece of pottery to paint. Once it is painted, the pottery is put in the kiln and fired to make it dishwasher and microwave safe. (The kiln process can take up to a week and shipping is available if needed.) The shop is open Tuesday – Saturday from 11am – 7pm and Sunday from 1pm – 6pm.
- Hands On – A Child’s Gallery: This gallery has hands on science and educational exhibits to show that learning is fun for all ages. Some of the exhibits include the Lego raceway, costume and puppet theater, vet hospital, mountain nature nook, music room, and more! Hands on is located in Hendersonville (45.7 miles from Avalon) and has a $5 admission fee. The gallery is open Tuesday – Saturday from 10am – 6pm and Sunday from 1pm – 6pm.
- Team ECCO Ocean Center and Aquarium: The Kids will love this wonderful aquarium, located in Hendersonville. It houses 24 exhibits and kids can view turtles, lizards, tropical coral reefs, and more. Twice a day there is even a shark feeding the kids can watch! The center promotes ocean education and is open Wednesday – Saturday from 1pm – 5pm. There is a $5 admission fee for adults and kids over 2 years old.
As you can see, there are lots great things for kids to-do in Western NC! Have fun trying something new! Maybe, you will discover a new favorite spot for the entire family to enjoy together!